HIV Testimonies

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

HIV test was positive, but life goes on

By, Rhoda Fukushima, Pioneer Press, May 4, 2007

In 1990, Annie Elmer was 32, worked full time as an administrative assistant, served in the Naval Air Reserve, kept physically fit and partied on the weekends. She called it "living in the moment." That year, she met a man with whom she had an intimate relationship. Not long after, she developed symptoms that made her doctors think she had Lyme disease. But Elmer of Cottage Grove put two-and-two together and got an HIV test.

"I was infected. I felt shocked. I was numb. I was so naive. I was confused. Do I have AIDS? What does this mean?

"I had my parents' support from the beginning. But people were still afraid. This was right before Magic Johnson went public.

"In December, I connected with other HIV-positive women and women with AIDS in a support group. All the women said things like 'I'm living for my children.' I didn't have children. I realized I had to live for myself because I probably wasn't going to have that.

"I learned I could be positive about my health. I needed to control the stress. I got what I needed (from the group) and had to leave. It could be perceived as selfish, but it was a survival mechanism. I wasn't in a situation where I could support them emotionally.

"I went on with life. I got the approvals to stay in the Reserve. It was around the time of Operation Desert Storm. It was so much stress, in addition to working full time, I got out.

"I hadn't missed a day of work. But I was an emotional basket case. I talked to my boss and wanted him to know. He was very respectful. I shared the information with only him and people closest to me.

"In 1995, I heard of different drug trials. I wasn't on any drugs. I thought maybe I could do something positive by participating. I was on the drug for a month. The side effects were terrible.

"Because I felt crappy all the time, I wanted to go public at work. My boss was supportive, but we wanted to get our occupational health department involved. There were 200 people in his department. Everyone was invited to the cafeteria.

"I got nothing but positive feedback. Here I had been going the whole time without support, and all these people had all this love. It was a huge weight lifted. I didn't have to keep it a secret anymore at work.

"The disease was becoming known for affecting heterosexuals because of Magic Johnson. That gave me more hope. Also, Pedro Zamora, a cast member with AIDS on MTV's 'Real World,' was a big inspiration for me to go public.

"The AIDS cocktails came out in late 1996. I went on them. I hated them, but in three months, (the virus) was undetectable. I was elated. I was on them until October 2000, when the side effects got to be intolerable. It also had emotional side effects - depression.

"I got so depressed I quit my job. I got offered a different job, and I stayed with the company until March 2004. I could sense it was the time in my life to do something else.

"I went to Dakota County Technical College for two years in exercise and sport science. I shared (my status) with students in my anatomy class. They were open and encouraging. I graduated in May 2006.

"Now, I'm working at a fitness club in Rosemount. I'm also training out of my home. I love what I do, but I'm an independent contractor. It takes a couple of years to become profitable. There's the struggle with finances, but I love being my own boss.

"My health is really good. I just found a combination of medications that doesn't have side effects.

"I could live as long as my parents or longer. I want to live life to its fullest. I want to live as healthy as possible."

Source: http://www.twincities.com/ci_5819396?source=rss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home