HIV Testimonies

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ETHIOPIA: I knew the risk I was taking, but my family had to eat

By, IRIN PlusNews, April 16, 2007

ADDIS ABABA, 16 April (PLUSNEWS) - By day, Aster Beyene [not her real name], 21, is a saleslady at a boutique in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa; by night she attends computer school. After losing her mother and older brother to AIDS-related illnesses, Beyene has been left with the responsibility of feeding and clothing her remaining siblings.

"Even though I am the last born, I have experienced the struggle for survival first hand, and I vowed to rescue my family from the pit of poverty that seemed to get worse as the days went by.

A middle-aged guy who lived next door had always had his eye on me, but I never considered going out with him before the problems at home. I pushed all the frightening thoughts aside and opted to have a relationship with him; in return, he offered to give me money, including my tuition for night school.

Despite repeated warnings from people in my community that he was infected with the HI virus, I continued having sexual relations with him without protection. I was aware of what was at stake, but my family relied on me to provide for them and I felt I had no other option.

I recently found out that I am HIV positive, but what still worries me most is what I will put on the table for my family. My mother passed away last month and there are still five mouths to feed; two of my brothers are also living with HIV. There is no time to lament my lost childhood or the future I might never be able to witness.

To this day I have a sexual relationship with the man who infected me with the virus. I am also aware that he has another woman in his life.

rm/kr/he[ENDS]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home