HIV Testimonies

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Niyongamba, A 20 year-old Rwandese woman

by HDN Key Correspondent Team- a statement from the 10th SWAA (Society for Women and AIDS in Africa) International Conference on AIDS, Kigali, Rwanda, 24-28 July 2005

MY NAME IS NIYONGAMBA MARCELLIN, AND I AM 20 YEARS OLD: WELCOME TO MY WORLD.

I am a Rwandese high school student. I am living with HIVAIDS. If you think living with the virus is challenging, you are not alone. My life is full of constant struggles.

You see, I thought accessing antiretroviral (ARVs) drugs would signal the end of my tough times, but I have realized that it was just the beginning of a long journey. I have had to concentrate on my studies even when I am at my lowest, when I have opportunistic infections. The process of schooling is a tough equation, add serious withdrawal effects from the medication and a hostile school environment and it adds up to a challenge.

I am very happy to be in school, but it is hard when other students do not understand why you have HIV. They think it is your fault and therefore mock you. They give us nicknames and laugh at us when we get some skin infections. They may even shun you, and that feels bad.

Stigma is bad in school, especially when you have to keep asking for permission to get medication. That means you miss out on important classes, yet you need medication to survive in a boarding school. It means that you stay healthy but miss some of the teaching.

The school administration does not always understand. Apart from needing time off to get medication and rest when side-effects have taken their toll, we need clean water and a special diet. Unclean water will accelerate opportunistic infections that may be water borne, while some food we take in school is not exactly good for our well-being.

I know that a proper balanced diet is good for my health because it will boost my immune system. With good food, I know I do not always have to take medication; therefore good food is important to me.

This is my daily situation: At times I have no money to see a doctor. It is good to have one doctor who monitors my situation, but it is not always easy to access such services with no money.

If this is tough, can you imagine a student in a boarding school, struggling to perform well in class, take care of their diet, deal with other students who are not always friendly, constantly leave school to get medication, and keep the sponsors of his or her education happy? On top of all that, there is a point to prove in society - that all students have a right to education.

I have a family - but I have friends who are orphans, head their households, and also have to go through school. At times money for school fees is not available, let alone money to pay bus fare to get medication. That is when we come together and encourage one another and hope that society will understand our plight.

I get my ARVs from TRAC [Treatment Research and AIDS Centre], that saves me a lot of trouble and I can concentrate on my studies and deal with the other challenges I face. I know there are other students who would like to access medication but have no chance. I hope the situation can improve and more students are able to access ARVs and other forms of care.

I am happy that I will be joining Don Bosco in Kibungo, one of the best schools in Rwanda. For me, it is such an achievement, and I hope to excel.

[The original statement has been slightly modified for editing purposes.]

Source: HDN Key Correspondent Team, email: correspondents@hdnet.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home